A mole may rub up against opposing skin. It may be all you see when you look in the mirror. Perhaps you are concerned that a mole has changed shape, or is bleeding.
Since moles can sometimes be indicative of skin cancers, Franklin Skin & Laser takes these spots very seriously. The fact that cancers can manifest themselves as moles also underscores the importance of getting regular professional skin checks. Consistent skin checks help Dr. Steven Bengelsdorf and his team monitor and track any changes that might be cause for concern.
In most cases, however, moles are harmless. Since they are annoying and may detract from your appearance patients may wish to have them removed.
Dr. Bengelsdorf and his team can remove these bumps and lumps by numbing the problem area, at which time the doctor may surgically remove the mole. The process is quick and may be performed at our convenient offices in the Nashville area. In some cases, the mole may be small enough that it can be removed with a simple “shave” technique. No stitches are required in instances of smaller moles.
While it can’t be emphasized enough that most moles are not a cause for concern, there are some items to be aware of:
- 50-plus moles have been associated with increased risk of melanoma skin cancer, so the number of moles on your body is considered a predictor of cancers.
- Irregularly shaped moles or those with uneven color and larger-than-normal size are also associated with melanomas.
A “normal” mole is usually no bigger than one-fourth of an inch around, or about the size of an eraser at the top of a pencil. Don’t be alarmed if your mole is pink, red, or blue in addition to the “typical” brown or tan.
If it’s been awhile since your last skin check, schedule an appointment with Dr. Bengelsdorf and his team at Franklin Skin & Laser. Call (615) 595-8177. During your appointment, he can discuss options for mole removal at the Franklin TN location. It’s also a good idea to get into the habit of “self-checking.” Any changes to the symmetry, color, shape, size, and “behavior” of the mole (i.e. is it itchy? bleeding?) are worth a second look with your dermatological partner in the Nashville area.
- Cosmetic Surgeon for Mole Removal in Franklin TN – Cosmetic surgeon in Franklin,TN provides desired, aesthetic outcomes from diverse treatments for mole removal
- Mole Removal at Franklin TN – Franklin TN urges routine skin checks when considering removal of an unwanted mole
- Prevention of Sunspots Franklin TN – Makeup and sunscreen products help with prevention of sunspots and extend results of lasers and peels in Franklin TN